Sunday, January 19, 2014

Following Directions

This is the typical classroom scenario...

Teacher:  We will be practicing on :place lesson activity name here:.  Turn to page__, and begin working.
After a few minutes...
Teacher:  Little Tommy/Tania, why haven't you started?
Student:  I don't know what to do?
Teacher:  Just read the directions.  Did you read it carefully?
Student:  Yes, I just don't get it!

Totally understanding that some students with IEP's must have the instructions read to them.  But eliminating those students, do you find this situation happening more and more?

How do we get this newest generation of students who just want instant gratification to slow down? There are several places to find the "trick" worksheet that shows students that reading the directions was critical to the activity, then what's next?  Giving students the opportunity to learn the importance of reading and FOLLOWING directions is the key to their success.

I have found a good website  www.makinglearningfun.com that has differentiated instructions for students to follow.  It is a pretty simple idea.....read carefully and follow the directions.  The pictures are student friendly and there are several sets of directions.  There are 8 different themes.  Each picture has 3 sets of directions.  You can differentiate based on your population of students or you can use them differently. Endless possibilities abound!

I know I am going to use this with my 4th graders on Tuesday.  I may start with easiest set of directions for all of them, and move through the pictures.  Then I will start again but the the middle set of directions.

I wish I thought of it myself, but I'm not as creative.





No comments:

Post a Comment